Week 4 Blog Post
This week in class, we talked about social class and cultural diversity. These topics are topics that interest me very much, and makes me want to dive deeper into them. We were asked to watch some videos about social class and what other people experience in their day to day life. One of the videos that struck me was a story about a woman named Tammy. Tammy and her children live in a small town in Ohio, and are at the bottom of the social class. They live in a trailer on the outskirts of town, and Tammy has to walk 10 miles to work and 10 miles home because her car doesn't work. Her son is embarrassed and where and how they live, and doesn't want to bring his friends around because he says they are higher on the social ladder and he doesn't want them to see how he lives. As time goes on, Tammy's kids grow up and get into things that aren't the best. When your'e surrounded by bad examples and people who are not trying to better themselves, that is what you do. After he sons were involved in some things, they tried to clean up their act and get their lives together. Tammy ended up moving to a small house in town so she didn't have to walk as far to work. I think the point of showing us this video is to expose us to different ways people live and how they earn a living for themselves. There were also other videos that we watched of people in a higher class. In my opinion, the kids who are raised in a higher class have more opportunities than the kids that are born in a lower class and have to work a lot harder to get to where they want to be. Social class is a big thing. When people think that social class doesn't matter, they are wrong. It is what keeps this society going and in some way, can make them work harder to become in the top of the social class.

I compared my family and how I grew up to Tammy's family. My parents are both teachers and had a steady income. I grew up in the middle class, and had what I needed to survive. Even though Tammy and her kids were at poverty level, they still had means to survive. People care too much about climbing the social ladder. We are all only trying to survive and making the means to do so, regardless of social class. I am grateful of the social class I grew up in though, because I do feel like it provided me with opportunities that not a lot of kids in a lower class get. I did have to work hard for them, however. I still had to work just as hard in school to earn good grades and also in my sports and other activities. I still had to work hard to make the team, and to play in the games. Something that I have a problem with is when kids who grew up in a higher social class than others get favored in school. All of us should work hard for what we want and not be favored for how much money we have or don't have.

That is one thing I love about the church. It doesn't care if you are rich or poor or if you have a nice car or no car at all, you will be accepted. All of us want to be accepted and to feel loved. We can get that within the church. It doesn't matter who your family is, because you have a ward family. We all have the same goal, and that is to return to our loving Heavenly Father and to have an eternal family. We can do that if we work hard and stay true to the gospel. All Heavenly Father cares about is if we follow the commandments, serve one another, and love each other. He does not care about what we have in our bank account and what we drive. We cannot take these earthy possessions with us in the next life, all we can take is our faith. That is what we should be focusing on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage and Cohabitation

Divorce and Remarriage

Communication in Relationships