Week 5: Gender and Family Life

This weeks lesson was very interesting, as well as controversial. It struck me hard because I take some of the things discussed in this lesson personally. As men and women, people like to paint us a certain way and think we should behave a certain way. Some of it is true in a way because there are those that fall into the "norm" of gender specific roles. I on the other hand, think it is time to break those gender specific roles and live the way we want to live. We should not be forced to act a certain way or have a certain job just because of our gender. More and more women are moving up in the workforce and I couldn't be more happy about that. People need to realize that things are changing. The time has come where women are needed to help provide for their family. We can't rely solely on the income of the father, because truthfully, it is not enough at times. It is so important for women to get an education, because you never know when you are going to need it. I am getting an education for the purpose of putting it to use. I want to help provide for my family and make sure my kids have a good life.
Another topic that I take very seriously is same-sex attraction. Even after reading the articles that were assigned to us, I still feel the same way. I know it is not how the church feels, but I feel that it is not my place to tell someone who they can love. Yes, I have more of an understanding behind it now in a way that there are certain factors that can make people be attracted to their same sex, but it has not changed the way I feel about it. One reason I feel so strongly about it is because the person I love is of a different color. Not too long ago, it was illegal and very frowned upon to marry someone of different race and culture. I cannot imagine being told that I cannot love this person, just because we have different skin color. I know that it isn't quite the same, but to me, it is. It was only in 1967 that interracial marriage became legal. For someone to tell me that I can't love him just because he is of a different race blows my mind. This is the same as same-sex attraction to me. Yes it is just barely becoming legal, but I am not one to tell them that they should not love who they want to love. The church does not agree with me on this subject, but we are all entitled to our own opinion. I also have many friends who are gay, and I love them so much. They are happy and content with who they are and I cannot imagine them any other way. They are still such wonderful and loving people, and they deserve to have the choice to love who they want to, just like I have the choice to marry someone of different color.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage and Cohabitation

Divorce and Remarriage

Communication in Relationships